The seventh chakra, also called Sahasrara or crown chakra, is located at the top of your head. This energy center acts as the bridge between your thoughts and the cosmos and offers you access to wisdom, collective consciousness, and higher guidance.
Balance is key to getting the benefit of all chakras, but if you want to vibrate at your highest potential, we invite you to explore your seventh chakra.
Overview of the Seventh Chakra
Metaphysically, the seventh chakra represents your highest potential and connection to all things. It governs your ability to communicate with the spiritual world, and while it is more abstract, it is also more all-encompassing than the other six chakras. The seventh chakra speaks to the integration of all seven chakras and the cosmos together.
“Sahasrara” means “a thousand petals” in Sanskrit, and as a metaphor, it refers to a lotus with 1,000 petals arranged in 20 layers. This symbolizes the layered and multi-dimensional nature of consciousness. This energy center speaks to your connection with a higher power. The seventh chakra is associated with the color violet and the precious stones quartz and amethyst.
When In Balance
When in balance, the seventh chakra allows you to feel deep serenity, joyful tranquility, and the ability to place profound trust in the universe and your surroundings. It allows you to live in gratitude and peace. When your seventh chakra is in balance, you will feel the interconnectedness of all things, and you can experience a sense of complete presence. Sitting comfortably in silence is a sign of a well-balanced seventh chakra.
When Out of Balance
A blocked seventh chakra may leave you feeling confused, bored, or with too much interest in the material world. You may experience intense loneliness or a desire to isolate yourself from others. You might feel uninspired and purposeless in your life, and you may try to fill your sense of disconnection with food, shopping, or meaningless pursuits and activities. You might be narrow-minded or rigid in your thinking with an inability to take in new information. Meditation and focus will be difficult.
People with an overactive seventh chakra may experience hyper-spiritualization (for example, from too much meditation) and may have difficulty functioning in the practical world. Your communication may be hazy and unclear with others.
Not sure if your seventh chakra is in balance? Take this introspective 15-question quiz.
Is Your Seventh Chakra in Balance?
- Do you feel a sense of aimlessness and a lack of purpose in your life?
- Are you depressed?
- Do you find meditation difficult?
- Are you highly materialistic?
- Do you compare yourself to others?
- Is it hard for you to take in new information?
- Do you let your obligations in the material world slip (i.e. do your bills go unpaid, do you have difficulty holding a regular job?.)
- Do you avoid self-reflection and the process of examining your own motivations and feelings?
- Does hearing about other people’s spiritual experiences make you uncomfortable?
- Do you tend to think of people in terms of “friends” and “enemies”?
- Is it hard for you to focus?
- Do you try to control your environment?
- Do you fear the future?
- Do you feel apathy and indifference towards other people?
- Do you feel disconnected from your physical body and suffer poor coordination?
Score 1 for every yes.
0-5 = your seventh chakra is likely in balance. You may have an issue or two to reflect on, but this is part of the human experience. You likely have a sense of purpose and recognize the connected nature of all things.
6-10 = your seventh chakra may be out of balance, either blocked or overactive. It’s worth some dedicated self-reflection to develop a concrete plan to get this chakra’s energy flowing in a balanced way. You will feel a greater sense of focus and purpose if you do.
11-15 = your seventh chakra is out of balance, and you are likely suffering the consequences. Take some committed steps to address this imbalance so you can function effectively in the practical world, reach your full potential, and feel a sense of peace and ease in your daily life.
How to Rebalance the Seventh Chakra
If you believe your seventh chakra is out of balance, here are some practical steps you can take:
- Meditate Daily. Meditation is one of the best ways to activate and balance the seventh chakra. Use this guide to find the meditation style that’s right for you and get started today. Meditation doesn’t have to take hours each day. You can get benefits from just a few minutes a day as long as you stay consistent. Try this 5-Minute Morning Meditation to start your day.
- Practice Pranayama. Breathwork, or pranayama, is particularly effective in balancing the seventh chakra. Pranayama connects your body and your mind while providing oxygen to your whole system and removing toxins. You can begin with this Four Pranayama Purification practice.
- Seek energy vortexes or other sacred spaces. Energy vortexes are natural locations where powerful energy emanates, leaving people feeling inspired, recharged, healed, or refreshed. If you’ve been to Sedona, Arizona, Crater Lake, Oregon, or Delphi in Greece, you’ve been to an energy vortex. These areas help activate the seventh chakra and many people report flashes of insight or the ability to deeply meditate while in an energy vortex. Seek these energetic powerhouses in your own environment and if you can’t find them, tune into YogaToday’s videos, which offer the backdrop of the Rocky Mountains and other beautiful natural settings.
- Do yoga. Yoga is designed to open the various chakras in the body so look for yoga practices that focus on the top of the head and the seventh chakra. Headstands are a great way to activate the crown chakra, so try this 25-minute class. Or if you are looking for something more meditative, prayer pose with focused alignment of your neck and spine is another gateway to the seventh chakra.
The seventh chakra is the energy center most focused on meditative practices and going deeply within. Having a solid connection between yourself and the greater cosmos offers you a gateway to experience bliss, connection, and a deep sense of security in the world.