The sixth chakra is connected to your third eye, the intuition center. There are seven chakras that distribute energy throughout our body, but if you want to get more in touch with your inner wisdom, the sixth chakra is the place to focus.
An Overview of the Sixth Chakra
The sixth chakra, also called Anja, is located between the eyebrows just above eye level and is often referred to as the third eye. Energetically, this energy center is the seat of your intuition, the base of your higher knowledge, and the home to your sixth sense. If you’ve ever had an intuitive flash, where you knew something with great clarity without being able to explain why, you’ve experienced an activated sixth chakra. Your sixth chakra speaks to your inner knowing.
“Anja” (sometimes spelled Agya) means “beyond wisdom” or “to perceive,” and this chakra is connected to your imagination, illumination, the ability to visualize, and your connection to deep, source wisdom. It lies above the fifth chakra at the throat, a place of emotion and reason, and below the seventh chakra at the crown of the head, the center of enlightenment and wisdom. The sixth chakra is associated with the color indigo, and the precious stones amethyst, lapis lazuli, and azurit.
When In Balance
When in balance, the sixth chakra allows you to reach outside the realm of your five earthly senses to receive information. Your soul’s voice becomes part of the decision-making process, and you may feel a greater sense of clarity and certainty in your actions. People with an activated sixth chakra may seem like they are operating on a different plane, accessing deeper information. They trust and can hear their inner voice. A sixth chakra out of balance, however, can have the opposite effect.
When Out of Balance
A blocked sixth chakra can result in a closed mind with resistance to new information. You may feel lost and confused, and your decisions may lack clarity and wise judgment. You may rely too heavily on logic or emotion, and you may have difficulty seeing the bigger picture, focusing instead on the details of your immediate problems. You may have difficulty staying calm under pressure, and your ability to concentrate can be compromised.
People with an overactive third eye chakra may daydream excessively and have a tendency to fantasize too deeply. Your mind may jump around from idea to idea, and you may feel overwhelmed and mentally exhausted.
Both an overactive and a blocked sixth chakra can lead to indecision, confusion, cloudy thinking, and mental burnout. A blocked sixth chakra does this by focusing too narrowly on the details of the present situation. The overactive sixth chakra does this by focusing too broadly on a fantasized future.
Not sure if your sixth chakra is in balance? Take this introspective 15-question quiz.
Is Your Sixth Chakra in Balance?
- Is it hard for you to concentrate?
- Are you deeply fearful of the unknown?
- Does your decision-making feel cloudy and confused?
- Are you overly analytical or overly emotional?
- Is it hard for you to know how you feel about the choices you need to make?
- Are you an impractical dreamer?
- Is it difficult for you to manifest your goals and dreams?
- When you make a decision, do you frequently second guess yourself?
- Is it hard for you to imagine your ideal future?
- Is it hard to remember your dreams?
- Do you feel mentally burned out on a regular basis?
- Do you become overwhelmed easily?
- Is it difficult for you to visualize energy?
- Do you feel stuck and unsure how to move forward?
- Are you very literal, and is it hard for you to use your imagination?
Score 1 for every yes.
0-5 = in balance. You may have an issue or two to reflect on, but this is part of the human experience. It is likely that you can access your inner wisdom and operate from a place of intuitive knowledge.
6-10 = your sixth chakra may be out of balance, either blocked or overactive. It’s worth some dedicated self-reflection to develop a concrete plan to get this chakra’s energy moving in a balanced way. You will feel more stable, grounded, and inspired as your sixth chakra becomes more balanced.
11-15 = out of balance, and you are likely suffering the consequences. Take some committed steps to address this imbalance and get this chakra’s energy flowing so you can make decisions with wisdom and clarity.
How to Rebalance the Sixth Chakra
If you believe your sixth chakra is out of balance, there are some practical steps you can take.
- Participate in Daily Self-Reflection. Self-reflection is a key component of accessing intuition so carve out time for this each day. This can be as simple as journaling where you explore your inner world. Or it can be community-based, like a support group where you are encouraged to share your inner experience and where others can mirror back what they see in you and your situation. Begin turning on your inner observer through daily self-reflection.
- Get Physical Exercise Outdoors in the Daylight. The sixth chakra is associated with light and sun. Getting outdoors during daylight hours is a good way to keep your feet on the ground while also accessing your imagination. Find a physical activity you can do outdoors and make a point of doing it during daylight hours, even if you are in a place that doesn’t get a lot of direct sun. Daylight in the outdoors can help activate and balance your sixth chakra.
- Meditate. Meditation is one of the fastest paths to the voice of your soul, and it can help activate your sixth chakra. Meditation has a cumulative effect so build it into your daily habits for maximum benefit. Try this 5-minute morning meditation to get started.
- Do yoga. Yoga is designed to open the various chakras in the body so look for yoga practices that focus on the third eye point or the sixth chakra. Not sure where to start? For a single exercise try prayer pose, or for a full practice, try this 31-minute class for the sixth chakra.
The sixth chakra is the bridge between the material plane and the astral sphere. When activated and balanced, this energy center allows you to integrate logic and emotion and weave together practicality with creativity. Get this chakra activated and in balance using the tips above, and let the energy of your third eye illuminate your best path forward.